The Most Reverend Thomas W. Croke
First President of St. Colman’s College 1858 - 1866
Archbishop of Cashel 1875 - 1902
Colman’s College, Fermoy was opened in 1858 as the Diocesan College of
Cloyne. The College is proud of the contribution it has since made to
the education of “the young men of Munster.”
One of the hallmarks of the College’s history has been its willingness
to meet and welcome change over the years. With the advent of ‘free
education’ in the 1960’s, the forward-thinking leaders in St. Colman’s
at the time built the new teaching block ( in effect, a new school) to
provide for the expected increase in numbers.
Today, at the beginning of the 21st century, change continues. There are
no boarding students in the College now, but the St. Colman’s
tradition of excellence in the provision of the best possible
educational opportunities to its pupils is as strong as ever.
Our aims are:
To nurture the full academic and personal development of all in the
To enhance the self-esteem of each person in an environment of
To attempt, as a Catholic school, to apply the caring values of the
Gospel to all aspects of our school life.
To foster good relationships within the school, with parents and with
the local community.